Saturday, November 30, 2013

India can partner Ethiopia in space technology


With Ethiopia launching a new space programme last month, India can have a promising partnership with Africa in this frontier technology, India's outgoing ambassador here has said.
"An Indian rocket may carry an Ethiopian satellite into space; that is possible," outoing envoy Bhagwant Singh Bishnoi told IANS at his farewell reception here organized by the Indian Business Forum (IBF) in Ethiopia. "India's space launches are much cheaper (than in the West); hence launching micro satellites for Ethiopia is something that I think the two countries should work closely together for," he added.
After South Africa and Nigeria, Ethiopia is becoming a hub of Africa's aspirations in space with the East African nation's finalising the installation of two huge deep-space observatory telescopes to promote space research in the region, a prelude to its developing a space mission by launching its own satellites.
Indian technology has enabled the successful launching of satellites that now provide the country communication facilities and information on a range of subjects, including mineral deposits and weather trends. "I will discuss this new partnership opportunity with my successor," Bisnoi said. On completing his four-year term, Bishnoi is moving to New York as deputy head of India's permanent mission at the UN. He will be succeeded by Sanjay Verma, currently India's consul general in Dubai. He said Indian technological companies should invest in Ethiopia in the opportunities that are opening up. "The technologies that India brings are affordable, adoptable and suitable for household uses and others depending on the circumstances", the ambassador said. "There is a lot of things that Indian industry has to offer."
During his tenure, the ambassador had encouraged Indian investment to Ethiopia and several Indian projects, especially in the manufacturing and agricultural sectors, have been set up. "As a patron of IBF, he (Bishnoi) constantly guided us to achieve our main objectives of IBF," Mayur IBF president Suryakant Kothari told IANS. According to Kothari, the other major contribution of the Indian ambassador was to create a platform for dialogue between Indian and Ethiopian government officials, which is also an objective of the IBF.
"Creating a dialogue between government officials is very important for investment and he enabled this platform where Indian investors frankly and candidly engage with Indian and Ethiopian government officials, and a lot of their challenges and problems were resolved," Kothari said. One outcome of this dialogue is that India is the first country to sign a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Ethiopian Revenues and Customs Authority (ERCA) that has been successfully implemented by both sides. The first visit of Indian leaders like Vice President Hamid Ansari and Prime Mnister Manmohan Singh, as well as of Ethiopian Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn to India when he was foreign minister happened during Bishnoi's tenure.  Source ( IANS)

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Former Ethiopian Prime Minister, Tamrat layne speaks

Former Ethiopian PM , Tamrat Layne  speaks  on his past political life  . After his long silence Tamart tells to SBS Amharic service on his prison life, his childhood, the good and the bad times his organization (ANDM) went through with TPLF as well as his spiritual life. This is the introduction part of the interview.  More will   come soon. ..

Friday, November 22, 2013

Saudi, The Sunni dominated kingdom received a mortar attack from Shiite group


An Iraqi Shiite group claimed Thursday it had fired six mortar rounds that hit a remote area of northeastern Saudi Arabia a day earlier as a warning to the Sunni-dominated kingdom.

Wathiq al-Battat, head of the pro-Iranian Shiite group Jaish al-Mukhtar, told AFP by telephone from Baghdad that the attack was "a warning strike" to Saudi Arabia over its stance towards Shiites.

"We did not mean for our missile to reach a residential area because we value people's blood," said Battat. "But next time, if Saudi Arabia continues the same course, we will go farther, little by little."
Battat also said his men had entered entered Hafr al-Batin, "an oil-rich area and vital to the Saudis" that was the target of the mortar fire. Diplomats and Iraqi security officials routinely say they do not believe Jaish al-Mukhtar to be a capable militia and do not regard Battat as a credible figure.
But the incident comes amid regional turmoil fuelled by the Syrian conflict. Riyadh backs the mostly Sunni rebels fighting to overthrow Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, who is strongly supported by predominantly Shiite Iran and Shiite militias in Iraq and Lebanon. Earlier Thursday, Saudi state news agency SPA quoted border guard General Mohammed al-Ghamidi as saying six mortar rounds hit Wednesday "in an uninhabited area near Al-Awja border crossing... in Hafr al-Batin in Eastern Province, and no damage was caused." Residents said Saudi warplanes were flying over the area early on Thursday and Ghamidi said Saudi authorities were in "direct contact" with their neighbours to identify the source of the shelling and to prevent a repetition. Okaz newspaper's website said the mortar fire came "from the Iraqi side of the border." Hafr al-Batin, which also borders Kuwait, was a command headquarters for US forces during the 1991 Gulf War, which expelled Iraqi occupation forces from the emirate.  Source ( AFP)

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Ethiopians Have Home to come" , says Dr.Twedros Adahanom


 ”Ethiopians have home to come, they can always come to their home and we will  accepting them and not only  that we  are preparing the ground work ;  our command operation is  working around the clock.     I recently received   a direct call    from a girl straight from the camp who really in desperate situation, there is nothing devastated than that… I am sorry that Ethiopians are being treating this way regardless of their immigration status.    We are not in war with the Saudis, if they need to deport them, it should do be done smoothly not in the way they are doing in the past 10 days. We even could have arranged together to make it a smooth transfer.

For   those who forget, I would like to say the following.  When prophet Mohamed was been chased, he sent his followers (his Shaba as)    to Ethiopia. According to  history  they were  the  first refugees  who lived  in  Ethiopia , until things in  the Middle east were settled   down  , their cemetery  is  in Ethiopia  they buried here in Ethiopia   it is in Tigray .  I have visited myself. We consider this as one of our Ethiopian treasure, even the then emperor was given them grant for asylum, it is not only that he   in fact changed   the country   rule of law to accommodate   the interest of the Shaba’s .  This was done more than one century and half (approximately 1400 years ago). That should be remembered, that shouldn’t be forgotten!! There is always time you were supporting others but there is also time you may need help from those you once supported them. This is the universal reality of this world. Helping each other is not something new in the current world.  The last 10 days were difficult time in my life.
These are excerpts taken from Dr  Twedoes  speech during the  opening ceremony of family planning conference  in  Addis Abeba  .Watch the link here .  


Friday, November 15, 2013

Ethiopian police crackdown on anti-Saudi Arabia protest following migrant worker attacks


Ethiopian police used force Friday to disperse hundreds of people protesting against targeted attacks on Ethiopians in Saudi Arabia. Many foreign workers in Saudi Arabia are fleeing or are under arrest amid a crackdown on the kingdom’s 9 million migrant laborers. Close to 500 Ethiopians have been repatriated. Last weekend, Saudi residents fought with Ethiopians, and video emerged of a crowd dragging an Ethiopian from his house and beating him. The government’s spokesman, Shimelis Kemal, said Friday’s demonstration was broken up because organizers had not sought permission to hold such a protest. He also said many of the demonstrators carried anti-Arab messages that sought to “distort” strong relations between Ethiopia and Saudi Arabia. He declined to say how many people were arrested and expressed regret for police actions against journalists. One protester, Asfaw Michael, who was beaten, said he didn’t understand why Ethiopia wanted to shield Saudi Arabia from the protest given the anti-Ethiopian actions inside Saudi Arabia.Police units blocked roads to prevent the protest at the Saudi Arabia Embassy from growing. Some two dozen people were detained. The police also forced some journalists to delete photos.  Source ( Washington past )

 

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Ethiopia Urges Probe After 3 Die in Saudi Labor Crackdown


Ethiopia demanded Saudi Arabia probe the deaths of its citizens as the kingdom prepared to expel tens of thousands of foreigners in a crackdown on undocumented workers.

Three Ethiopian nationals were killed in recent clashes with Saudi police, Foreign Ministry spokesman Dina Mufti told reporters today in Ethiopia’s capital, Addis Ababa, without giving details. Ethiopia’s government has spoken to Saudi Arabian officials and condemned the “deplorable” killing of “innocent citizens,” Dina said.

Saudi authorities on Nov. 4 started implementing measures against violators of the kingdom’s labor laws. About 17,000 Ethiopians have surrendered themselves in the capital, Riyadh, since Nov. 10 after clashes with police in the Manfouha neighborhood left two people dead, al-Riyadh newspaper reported today, citing Nasser al-Qahtani, spokesman for the city’s police.

Ethiopia’s government has sent extra diplomatic staff to register Ethiopians for their return home, according to Dina. “We’re looking for orderly repatriation with the rights of all citizens, including Ethiopians, respected,” he said.

Saudi Arabia, the Arab world’s biggest economy, is taking action against illegal workers as it pushes to create more jobs for its citizens and stave off unrest.

More than 9 million foreign workers have entered Saudi Arabia as the world’s largest oil exporter invests its energy wealth to build roads, airports and new industrial cities. Source ( Bloomberg)

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Ethiopia condemns Saudi Arabia for its brutal crackdown


Ethiopian Foreign Minister Tedros Adhanom has condemned Saudi Arabia for its brutal crackdown on migrant workers in the kingdom.  Saudi authorities have launched the weeklong visa crackdown on foreign workers,killing three people, including an Ethiopian national.

“This is unacceptable. We call on the Saudi government to investigate this issue seriously. We are also happy to take our citizens, who should be treated with dignity while they are there,” Adhanom said on Sunday. Ethiopia’s top diplomat said Addis Ababa has formally complained to Riyadh and is now working to bring its citizens back home Saudi security forces on Saturday clashed with thousands of migrant workers protesting a new labor law. Two people were killed and nearly 70 others injured after police opened fire to disperse protesters in the capital Riyadh. More than 500 protesters were also detained. On Wednesday, the Ethiopian man was killed during another crackdown, prompting the Ethiopian government to announce efforts to bring home its citizens. Riyadh has announced plans to create jobs for Saudi nationals by reducing the number of foreign workers totaling some nine million people. Hundreds of thousands of workers have already left the kingdom amid tougher conditions for migrants. Foreign workers cannot change jobs or leave Saudi Arabia without the permission of their sponsors, who are often Saudi companies or individuals who provide workers to businesses for profit. Most of the sponsors take away the passports of the workers for the duration of their contract. Human rights groups have criticized Saudi Arabia over the condition of migrant workers in the kingdom and called on Riyadh to abolish the sponsorship system for migrant workers.

Source ( GJH/HN/AS)

 

 

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Ethiopia: ‘Ethio-Mehedar’ and Its Defiance Editors


When we read the news below  from Awra-amba times we were wondering why anti-Corruption commission   keep silent (has an Elephant ear) on news of this nature. Isn't this the objective of the Anti-corruption commission to investigate and look into the alleged case? Not long ago the commission expressed its dissatisfaction over media out lets (both Government and Private) that they are not to adequately report   on corruption news as well as   not doing enough   on investigative journalism.
 Have your say!


አውራምባ ታይምስ (አዲስ አበባ) – ከቅርብ ጊዜ ወዲህ የኢህአዴግ መንግስትን ድክመት ፈልፍሎ በማውጣት፤ በተለይም በሃገሪቱ የተንሳራፋውን ሙስና በቁርጠኝነት በማጋለጥ በብቸኝነት ከፍተኛ ሚና እየተጫወተ እንደሆነ የሚነገርለትኢትዮ- ምህዳርጋዜጣ ዋና አዘጋጅ ታሰረ፡፡
የኢትዮ ምህዳር ዋና አዘጋጅ የሆነው ጋዜጠኛ ጌታቸው ማሩ በዛሬው እለት ጥቅምት 26 ቀን 2006 ዓም ከአዲስ አበባ ወጣ ብሎ ለገጣፎ በሚባለው አካባቢ በሚገኘው ፖሊስ ጣቢያ ውስጥ በተሰየመ ጊዚያዊ ችሎት እንዲቀርብ የተደረገ መሆኑ ታውቋል፡፡ ጋዜጠኛው በሥም ማጥፋት ወንጀል የተከሰሰ መሆኑም በደፈናው ተነግሮታል፡፡ ከሳሽ አቃቤ ሕግ የክሱን ዝርዝር ሳይገልፅ በጋዜጠኛ ጌታቸው ማሩ ላይ የጊዜ ቀጠሮ እንዲሰጠው ጠይቆበታል፡፡
ጋዜጠኛው በታሰረበት ለገጣፎ አካባቢ ቋሚ /ቤት ባለመኖሩ ከሰንዳፋ /ቤት በተላከ አንድ ዳኛ ብቻ ፖሊስ ጣቢያ ውስጥ በተሰየመ ተዘዘዋሪ ችሎት ፊት የቀረበው የኢትዮ- ምህዳር ዋና አዘጋጅ ጌታቸው ማሩ በከሳሽ አቃቤ ሕግ ጥያቄ መሰረት 14 ቀን በእስር ቤት እንዲቆይ ትዕዛዝ መስጠቱን ለማወቅ ተችሏል፡፡
ዛሬ 14 ቀን እስርቤት እንዲቆይ የተወሰነበት ጌታቸው ማሩ፤ በለገዳዲለገጣፎ ሲታሰር ሁለተኛው የኢትዮ ምህዳር ጋዜጠኛ መሆኑ ነው፡፡ ከቀናቶች በፊት የጋዜጣዋ ሥራ አስኪያጅ ጋዜጠኛ ሚሊዮን ደግነው ሲቪልና የፖሊስ ልብስ በለበሱ አራት ሰዎች በለገዳዲ ለገጣፎ እንዲታሰር መደረጉ የሚታወቅ ሲሆን የጋዜጣዋ ከፍተኛ አዘጋጅ የሆነው ኤፍሬም በየነም ጋዜጣዋ ካቀረበችው ዘገባ ጋር ተያይዞ ክስ ለመከታተል ከባልደረቦቹ ጋር ወደ አዋሳ በሄደበት ወቅት ጥቅምት 20 ቀን 2006 . አደጋ ደርሶበት በአከርካሪ አጥንቱና ሳምባው ላይ ጉዳት ደርሶበት በአዲስ አበባ ኮሪያ ሆስፒታል ህክምናውን በመከታተል ላይ እንደሚገኝ ይታወቃል፡፡
ኢትዮ-ምህዳር ጋዜጣ በለገዳዴ-ለገጣፎ አካባቢ የሚካሄደውን ምዝበራና ሙስና በተከታታይ ያጋለጠች ሲሆን ዛሬ 14 ቀን የጊዜ ቀጠሮ የተጠየቀበት ጋዜጠኛ ጌታቸው ማሩም ሆነ ከሁለት ቀናት በፊት በፖሊስ ተይዞ እዚያው እስር ቤት የሚገኘው ስራ አስኪያጁ ሚሊዮን ደግነው፣ በደፈናው ስም ማጥፋት ወንጀል ይከሰሱ እንጂ ጉዳዩ ከዚያም በላይ የሆነ የክልሉ መንግስት ሴራን በማጋለጣቸው ለእስር እንደተዳረጉ ለጋዜጠኞቹ ቅርበት ያላቸው ወገኖች ይገልጻሉ፡፡
እነዚህ ወገኖች እንደሚሉት የቀድሞው የከተማዋ ከንቲባ የሆኑት አቶ መገርሳ ገለታ በሙስና ወንጀል ተከሰው ስምንት አመት እስራት ከተፈረደባቸው በኋላ በሁለት ወራት እስራት ብቻ ተለቀው በሌላ ከፍተኛ ኃላፊነት መመደባቸውን ጋዜጣዋ በማጋለጧ ጉዳዩን ማድበስበስ የፈለጉ ወገኖች የወሰዱት አጸፋዊ እርምጃ ሊሆን እንደሚችልም ግምታቸውን ሰጥተዋል፡፡ የአቶ መገርሳ ጉዳይ በኦሮሚያ ክልላዊ መንግስታዊ ምክርቤት ሳይቀር የውይይት አጀንዳ እንደነበርም የአውራምባ ታይምስ ምንጮች ይገልጻሉ፡፡

Friday, November 1, 2013

Track laying for the Addis Ababa light railway project has been officially launched


Higher government officials, including Mayor of Addis Ababa City Administration, Diriba Kuma and Transport Minister, Workneh Gebeyehu attended launching ceremony. The two line rail tracks extend 17.35kms from east to west direction stretching from Ayat Village to Torhailoch passing through Megenagna, Legehar and Mexico. In the north to south direction, a 16.9-kms rail track will pass through Menelik Square, Merkato, Lideta, Legehar, Maskal Square, Gotera and Kaliti. The two directions will have a common track of about 2.8-kms. The Addis Ababa Light Rail Transit will have a total of 41 rails each with a capacity to carry 286 passengers. This will enable the light rail transit to provide transportation service to 15,000 people per hour in one direction and 60,000 in all four directions. Mayor of Addis Ababa City Administration, Diriba Kuma, on the occasion said the project would play a significant role towards alleviating the transportation problem in the metropolis when it is completed within a year and half. Addis Ababa light railway project, the first of its kind in the country, testifies Ethiopia’s economic advancement in various sectors.Diriba also called on the public to continue their support until the completion of the project as there is a big hope in the future.Transport Minister, Workneh Gebeyehu, on his part said the project, upon its completion would expedite in ongoing economic growth.Some 43 per cent of the 34 km Addis Ababa light railway project has so far been completed, it was learnt.Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Ethiopian Railways Corporation, Dr Engineer Getachew Betru, on his part said the project will be completed as per schedule.  Source ( WIC )

Sex workers in Belo Horizonte ( Brazil) signed up for English classes ahead of World Cup 2014

The official countdown to the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil began on Wednesday, June 12. Stadiums are being revamped, public transport is being tweaked, businesses are gearing up and prostitutes are taking free English classes. Yes, you read that correctly.In Belo Horizonte, one of the 17 host cities for the event which is expected to draw about 600,000 international visitors, citizens working in one of the world’s oldest professions are learning a very specialized kind of English. Prostitution is legal in Brazil and the sex trade is expecting a healthy boost in business during the2014 World Cup. Large sporting events are often a magnet for sexual tourism and trafficking, and Brazil’s cities may be particularly vulnerable — in part because prostitution is legal, and the country has long been considered a popular erotic destination for those seeking sexual experiences abroad. In preparation, the Minas Gerais State Association of Prostitutes in Belo Horizonte is offering free English classes to help the city’s prostitutes make the most out of the onslaught of potential new clients. The association’s president, Cida Vieira, says the goal is to enable sex trade workers to better communicate with customers. “English will be very important to communicate with clients during the Cup,” Vieira said. “They’ll have to learn how to work out financial deals and also use a specialized vocabulary with sensual words and fetishes.”There are over 80,000 prostitutes in Belo Horizonte and approximately 4,000 are association members. But not everyone is happy about it, and the Brazilian government has come under recent fire, as all eyes begin to focus on the host country of the 2014 World Cup and the 2016 Olympics.   Source (huffingtonpost.com)